Addressing uncomfortable subjects during a time of crisis should be no different than in normal times. It is about communicating clearly and ensuring proper expectations are being set. Anxiety is higher during times of crisis and if leaders and organizations are not communicating out to their people on an ongoing basis, and sharing developments and expectations, fear will grow. There is no such thing as communicating too much. Don’t be afraid to address performance issues just as you would in normal times, and do not use the crisis as an excuse to not have the conversation, it simply is not fair to the employee.
Watch the short video to hear Drew Larson with BrownWinick LLP, Emily Possidento with MCM CPA and Advisors, and our very own Jeff Faulkner to hear insights on the burning question.
As you listen to this episode you will walk away with key take a-ways and will realize you will want more. Click to visit the “Burning Question” topic page to easily access the additional episodes in the series.
Do you have a burning question you want to discuss with an expert? Submit your question via the Ask An Expert form!
Tune into more burning questions by subscribing to our blog on the right side of the page. You will receive updates when new episodes are live that will address:
- Adjusting to the new normal for industries that rely on customer interactions
- Messaging for business owners / leaders to share with their people in times of crisis
- Navigating the path when some family want to work in the business & others pursue other careers
- Addressing uncomfortable subjects that are more difficult during crisis as opposed to normal times
- Strategies for helping a son and daughter to learn how to work together
- Navigating business transitions when the next gen is not interested in the family business
- Proactive strategies to position the business for the “unknown”
- Communication tactics ease employee’s anxiety and worry
- Managing emotions of others and self in times of stress
- Strategies to increase sales to cover costs and create more points of revenue